top of page


The State Board of Creative Arts and Activities Therapies is the regulating body responsible for Licensing Art Therapists for the State of New Jersey under the Division of Consumer Affairs.  To legally practice art therapy in the state of New Jersey, and Art Therapist will need to process a License as a Professional Art Therapist (LPAT) or a License as an Associate Art Therapist (LAAT) under the supervision of a qualified supervisor. Applications for the New Jersey Licensed Professional Art Therapists are currently being accepted through the Board. As of 8/17/2021 there is a functioning Board issuing licenses! 

Please keep in mind:

NJATA and AATA are separate entities from the NJ State Board of Creative Arts and Activities Therapies.

NJATA does not have control over licensing.

For more information on licensure, laws and regulations, applications, and additional information, and to contact the state licensing board directly, click here.


Because NJATA is separate from the state board, questions can be best answered by emailing the state licensing board directly: 



The State Board of Creative Arts and Activities Therapies typically meets monthly, and parts of these meetings are open to the public. Public comments can be submitted to prior to the meetings, or the public is welcome to make a comment during the meetings. Keep in mind that questions about specific applications can not be answered in a public meeting. The schedule, agenda, and meeting information can be found here on their website.


Below are some answers to frequently asked questions. Please remember that NJATA is not associated with the new board, and any information obtained here is subject to change and are answered with the information we have gathered as members of the public. The most accurate information should be received from the Consumer Affairs Office and the new Board of Creative Arts and Activities Therapies

I'm not a NJATA member; how do I stay informed on what's going on with licensing?

Become a NJATA member! NJATA is an organization completely run by and relies on volunteers. Consider becoming a member and getting involved. This is the best way to ensure the health of this organization that represents art therapists in New Jersey. Members receive communication about updates regarding licensure via emailed Shoutouts. Shoutouts go out when we have updates (so sometimes it can feel like there hasn't been one in a while, and other times it can feel like a new update every few days). The Government Affairs Chair and Committee have also hosted several Town Hall meetings to talk about what has been going on with licensure. 

Why hasn’t my LAAT/LPAT application been approved? 

In June 2020, the Art Therapists Advisory Committee was abolished per the enactment of the Drama Therapists and Dance/Movement Therapists Licensing Act, P.L. 2019, c.273, which created the new State Board of Creative Arts Therapies and moved all responsibilities of the Art Therapist Advisory Committee over to the new board. While there is a new board as of 8/17/2021, please be patient as the new board begins its responsibilities. The licensing board approves and issues licenses in the order received, with grandfathering applications as a priority.


Additionally, if you are waiting for our LAAT application to be approved, the state and the ATCB had a delay in finalizing a contract to allow for license applicants to sit for the exam. As of 1/2024, the contract has been finalized and the state has been issuing letters to pending applicants granting permission to sit for the exam. If you've received your letter, please follow the instructions provided by the board for applying to sit for the exam. 

If you have submitted the LPAT or LAAT application and want to know the status of your application, you can search for your name on the License Verification page. If you do not see your name, you can contact the state board at

I’m a new grad, should I apply for the ATR-P and work on my ATR while I wait for my LAAT to be approved? 

Sure! The ATR-P and ATR are separate credentials from the LAAT and LPAT, and you can totally work toward those credentials. Please keep in mind that the LAAT and LPAT are the licenses needed to legally practice art therapy in the state of NJ. 

How do I know if my supervisor is qualified to supervise my working hours toward my LPAT? 

Finding a qualified supervisor is important when counting hours toward your LPAT. Supervisees should seek out supervision from a qualified supervisor. Review the regulations defining a qualified supervisor here. Per the regs, a “Qualified supervisor” means an individual who holds a clinical license to provide mental health counseling services in the state where the services are being provided, who satisfies the experiential requirements, and who has one of the approved clinical supervisor credentials set forth at N.J.A.C. 13:34D-3.2(a). A “qualified supervisor” shall satisfy all requirements set forth at N.J.A.C. 13:34D-3.2. 

*NJATA keeps a list of members that are Art Therapy Certified Supervisors here  

As a supervisor, how do I know if I’m qualified to supervise someone working toward their LPAT? 

To see if you qualify, you can review the regulations defining a qualified supervisor here.

How can I apply for the "grandfather application" for the LPAT?

The deadline for the LPAT application for current practitioners (AKA "grandfather application") was November 12, 2020; the licensing board is no longer accepting this application. Anyone meeting the qualifications for an LPAT and applying after November 12, 2020, should apply using the Licensure for Professional Art Therapist/Associate Art Therapist Application. 

I have an art therapy license from another state, can I be licensed in NJ?

New Jersey has a reciprocity process for those licensed in other states. When completing the Application for Licensure Professional Art Therapist Associate Art Therapist be sure to check the box at the top of the application indicating that you're applying for reciprocity. It is up to the state licensing board to review your application and license information to determine if you qualify for licensure by reciprocity. You will need a license issued by NJ to practice legally in the state. 

I still have questions about the regulations, licensing process, etc. Who should I contact?  

Since NJATA is separate from the state board, most questions can be best answered by emailing: 


The most accurate information on art therapy licensure will come directly from the Division of Consumer Affairs and the state board.  

bottom of page